so i woke up super early and was dreaming about the day that i open my own restaurant.. and i suddenly felt the urge to bake..
and i had an inspiration – from arabic flavours – to make a pistachio and rose cake.. so i started googling recipes.. and this one on Women & Home seemed simple and yum..
as with everything – i changed the recipe a bit.. depending on what i had or what i wanted more or less of.. so here’s the recipe.. i have yet to try it but i hope it is a yummy cake!!!!
let me know if you try it :)
for the cake
- 150g (6oz) pistachios
- 225g (6oz) butter, softened
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 3 large, free-range eggs
- 4tsp rose water / 1.5 tsp rose essence
- 1tsp baking powder
- 125g (5oz) plain flour
for the decoration
- 1 pink rose, un-sprayed (check with the florist)
- 1 free-range egg white
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- icing sugar, to top
- Make the decoration. Carefully pull the petals from the rose. Beat the egg white with a fork until it goes frothy. Using a paintbrush, lightly coat each petal with the egg white, dip in the caster sugar, shake off the excess and place on a wire rack. They should dry in 30 minutes in a cool, dry room.
- For the cake, heat the oven to 150 C, 130 C fan, 300 F, gas 2. Lightly toast the pistachios in the oven until golden, allow to cool slightly, then blitz in a food processor. Remove, reserving 2ts. In a separate bowl add the butter and sugar, whizz, then add the eggs one at a time while beating fast, add the rose water / essence.
- Add the baking powder, flour, pistachios and a pinch of salt, and fold the mixture. The mix should be soft dropping consistency.
- Transfer the mix to a spring-form (9 inch) tin, level the top and bake in the centre of the oven for 40 to 50 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Check after 30 minutes and cover with foil if the cake is getting too coloured. Once cooked, cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate, sift over some icing sugar, scatter over the reserved pistachios and top with the rose petals.